The State of Rust in MacPorts Today

Herby G herby.gillot at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 23:34:08 UTC 2022

Kevin Reid:

> A suggestion: if this is done, the shim port would ideally work in the
> same fashion as the "rustup" [1] Rust installation manager tool does.

A very solid idea. We need to focus on getting the rust-N ports into place
to start.

David Gilman:

> The thing blocking me, and probably anyone else in the project, from
> bumping the version, and also from testing/updating other ports, is
> that I don't have access to build machines with older MacOS X
> releases.

Do you need the older macOS environments just to test the Rust update, or
do you need them to build the bootstrap compilers for these environments?

Because if it's the former, then I think we should just move forward using
the buildbots.  We need to get the Rust 1.(X-1) bootstrap compilers built
and hosted somewhere, then verify that the latest Rust (1.66.0 as of now)
can be built in Github CI.  Once that works, we should just commit the
update and observe via buildbot status which macOS versions are failing,
and do our best to resolve each broken environment over time.

At this point, upgrading incrementally across environments makes more sense
than trying to verify it works in every single environment before updating.