Location to store Rust binaries

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Thu Dec 22 16:42:51 UTC 2022

>>> Please forgive me if I am misunderstanding your question.
>>> As Ken pointed out, the rust-bootstrap binaries are generated just fine.
>>> I suppose it might be possible to include https://packages.macports.org/ in the `master_sites` of the Rust port.
>>> I am afraid I would have to thing about that a little.
>>
>> My question is simply I am not getting what the reason is why you cannot make rust depend on rust-bootstrap when it needs to, on older systems, as a standard port dependency. Does *all* older systems have to use the binaries built on 10.9, or can rust-bootstrap be built fine as a port in 10.8, 10.7 etc. as well ?
>>
>> Even if the answer to that last question is yes, only the 10.9 binaries can be used, I still feel like something custom could be done to allow the use of the standard binary tarball port distribution, so yes packages.macports.org, to distribute the 10.9 binaries of rust-bootstrap to all builds that need it. Basically, I see no need to use any other binary distribution infrastructure than the one we are already using for the regular binary tarballs.
>
> Just looking at
>
>  https://packages.macports.org/rust-bootstrap/
>
> Any idea why the binaries for 10.9 (darwin13) do not seem to be available there ?

I guess the answer is looking at

 https://ports.macports.org/port/rust-bootstrap/builds/

Is that the builds on the older systems have not run yet.

But, yes, once they have I don’t see way the above is not just used as the means to distribute the binaries for rust-bootstrap, either as a regular port build dependency, or if that cannot work for some reason a more custom fetch and extract of the relevant tarball from the above area.

Chris