A bunch of failures with nodejs on the builders

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jul 3 03:12:08 UTC 2022

On Jul 2, 2022, at 19:11, Marc Wilson wrote:

> I’ve not heard of this before, and have never experienced it, despite having two different Mac on 12.x and before that, on 11.x.

Macs running macOS 12 do not seem to be affected presumably because they're already running macOS 12; there would be no reason to put the macOS 12 installer on them. Apple is only force-downloading the macOS 12 installer on some earlier systems; it is unclear whether this is a bug or is in some perverse way intentional on their part. Apple has not responded to the bug report I filed in March.

I noticed that both of the macOS 11 buildbot workers received the full 12 GB macOS installer application again, despite my having previously followed Chris's suggestion of removing the dmg from within them. Chris's workaround is effective so far on the macOS 10.15 buildbot worker but I don't know if that's just because it hasn't checked for updates recently enough.

> Surely you have upgrades disabled in System Preferences?

In System Preferences -> Software Update, "Automatically keep my Mac up to date" is unchecked. In Advanced..., "Check for updates" is checked (because I do want to be notified when new macOS updates are available), "Download new updates when available" is unchecked*, "Install macOS updates" and "Install app updates from the App Store" are grayed out and unchecked, and "Install system data files and security updates" is checked (because I do want the malware protection to be updated automatically).

* It was unchecked on the macOS 11 x86_64 buildbot worker and it is my intention to uncheck it on every buildbot worker but I see it was actually checked on the macOS 11 arm64 worker; I've now unchecked it there.