bazel 4.2 and 3.7 no longer building with native clang

Steven Smith steve.t.smith at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 16:46:33 UTC 2022

I’m trying to update a bunch of tensorflow packages, but am getting hung up on bazel issues (see https://trac.macports.org/ticket/64442 <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/64442>).

I have a fix for this issue, but am unable to build either bazel 4.2 or 3.7 with the native /usr/bin/clang compiler, chosen by the current Portfile settings. FWIW, the latest bazel version 5.2 (not yet updated into MacPorts) builds with this compiler.

How does one reconfigure the bazel Portfile to use a previous version of clang that has a chance of working to build previous versions of bazel, which are in turn necessary to build the tensor flow packages.

Right now I’m just hacking at the settings in the current Portfile, but each random hack just produces a different build failure.

E.g.
>     compiler.blacklist-append {clang >= 900}
>     compiler.blacklist-append {clang < 710}
>     compiler.blacklist-append {macports-clang-[7-8].0}
>     set min_darwin    16

> :info:build ../usr/bin/xcrun --sdk macosx /opt/local/bin/clang-mp-13 -mmacosx-version-min=10.9 -fobjc-arc -framework CoreServices -framework Foundation -o /opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_ports_devel_bazel/bazel-4.2/work/.tmp/bazel_1HyYSmmI/archive/xcode-locator tools/osx/xcode_locator.m
> :info:build ld: file not found: /opt/local/libexec/llvm-13/lib/arc/libarclite_macosx.a
> :info:build clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

These binaries used to build. How does one determine the Xcode/llvm/compiler settings that will get them to build again?