"LinuxPorts and machista

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 22:04:04 UTC 2022

Hi,

I seem to recall that I am less alone nowadays in actually using an adapted version of MacPorts on Linux (or *BSD)?

One of the things I miss on Linux is the rev-upgrade feature, if not only because it is also very useful to figure out who depends on a given shared library.

Anyway, has anyone also dabbling in this cross-platform use looked into alternatives to machista ("elfista" ...) or patching machista itself so the crucial functions also support ELF binaries (this would be easier for the build system I presume)?

Machista itself builds on Linux and could presumably be used for MACH objects; I've just had to patch _wrap_macho_loadcmd_mlt_install_name_get() to avoid dereferencing a NULL pointer (which must have happened to me, on Linux or when I tested basic functionality on FreeBSD).

Thanks,
R.

PS: I've made a fileIsBinary patch for Linux myself that detects the ELF magic opcode but continues to return False until I've figured out what to do with detected binaries.