ffmpeg 5.x status

Christopher Nielsen mascguy at rochester.rr.com
Sun Jul 24 18:12:35 UTC 2022

For anyone curious as to where things stand with updating ffmpeg to 5.x: Based on local testing of dependents, it appears that upstream has made some breaking API changes. And that affects a number of ports, making the update a no-go at present.

However, I still need to dig into the details, to see if upstream provided any facilities to ease migration. If not, we may need to support side-by-side installations of ffmpeg 4.x and 5.x, in concert with the ability for users to select their preferred version via ‘port select’.

In the interim, if folks are interested in testing their dependents against the latest upstream release, it’s available via port ffmpeg-upstream.

Presumably this situation will eventually be alleviated, as dependent projects are updated. But at the moment, things don’t look rosy.

Thoughts/comments welcome!

Cheers,
-Chris