+universal for x864+arm64 on Macintel

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jun 13 08:10:53 UTC 2022

On Jun 13, 2022, at 02:58, Chris Jones wrote:

> I assume you have tried removing these two line from your portfile ?
>
> <https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/b92a81cd9acf340efddfb61ec1b16dec71539d1c/multimedia/VLC/Portfile#L20>

You're pointing to the `universal_variant no` line and the `supported_archs x86_64` line.

Certainly, if the port installs files of more architectures than x86_64, those other architectures should be in the supported_archs line too.

The port also specifies `use_configure no` later, which is one of the conditions I was referring to previously which causes MacPorts not to create a universal variant (so the `universal_variant no` line is redundant). If a universal variant is desired for a port that does not have a configure phase (and does not use the cmake or makefile or xcode portgroups) the port must implement the universal variant itself.

>> On Jun 10, 2022, at 11:23, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
>>> When I tried to test the new +universal variant of a x864_64 + arm64 port (port:VLC) installing from official DMGs on my 10.9.5 Mac I discovered that the variant wasn't added because the port only supported the current build architecture.

Also, just a reminder, MacPorts does not complain if you ask to install a port with a variant that does not exist.