Python+MacOS Versions

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sat Jun 25 00:47:40 UTC 2022

On 2022-6-25 05:47 , Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
> Does anyone happen to know what versions of Python each MacOS shipped with?
>
>   * I'm specifically hoping to find when python3.8 began being
> pre-installed on MacOS to update a PSPP build-dep that's only required
> on systems without python3.8.
>
> https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/math/pspp/Portfile#L48
>

>   * Also hoping to make a wiki table with known versions for future
> reference.

It should be possible to find the version of python shipped with each
version of macOS by looking at the tags at
<https://github.com/apple-oss-distributions>. For example, clicking
through to python from
<https://github.com/apple-oss-distributions/distribution-macOS/tree/mac-os-x-1068>,
you can see that 10.6.8 shipped with Python 2.6.1 (and some older versions).

As mentioned previously, python3 is part of the developer tools, and
unfortunately the corresponding source doesn't seem to be available
anywhere that I can find. I think the /usr/bin/python3 stub first
appeared in Catalina, with the actual python installation in Xcode 11,
and was 3.7.3 at the time, but don't quote me on that.

- Josh