Python+MacOS Versions

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sun Jun 26 00:47:33 UTC 2022

On 2022-6-26 10:25 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> Agreed, there is no /usr/bin/python3 on Mojave. On Catalina, /usr/bin/python3 --version returns "Python 3.7.3".
>
> I didn't realize python3 wasn't part of the OS and was provided by Xcode. I guess that means that, unlike python2 on earlier systems, if a port needs python3 at runtime, it must use a MacPorts python3x port and not rely on the system python.

Python 3 is also in the CLTs as of version 13. Not sure if that was the
case in earlier versions. Using the current MacPorts python3x is
certainly the easiest path to consistently working, especially when
using 'port pkg' and such for deployment on systems without MacPorts
(and thus often without dev tools) installed.

- Josh