LLVM port mp-llvm-* select groups mislinks certain programs

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Tue Mar 15 08:10:22 UTC 2022

On 2022-3-15 08:31 , Chris Jones wrote:
>> On 14 Mar 2022, at 8:10 pm, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 14, 2022, at 14:02, Christopher Jones wrote:
>>
>>> I confess I am not that familiar with how the port select mechanism works - does the port need to be rev-bump in order to get rebuilt with the patch (which would be a bit of a pain) ?
>>
>> Yes, like I said.
>
> Thats  a little unfortunate, given the size of the llvm builds and the fact nothing has actually changed w.r.t. the actual build…. But if its how the port select mechanism works i guess it cannot be avoided…

This probably falls in the category of "seemed like a good idea at the
time". The hope at one point was to get rid of *_select ports by having
each port install its own select files with the select portgroup. The
flaw in that plan that quickly became apparent was that something still
had to install the "base" file, and the other, larger flaw that became
apparent a little later was that you have to rebuild the whole port to
make a tiny change to the select files.

It would probably be a better idea to install the select files for any
given ports foo* in subports of foo_select. So llvm_select would install
the base file, and would have subports named something like
llvm-3.4_select, ..., llvm-13_select that install the mp-llvm-3.4, ...,
mp-llvm-13 files. Each llvm-*_select would depend on llvm_select, and
llvm-* would depend on llvm-*_select.

Of course, rev bumps are unfortunately still needed to change to this
scheme.

- Josh