Reason for rpath usage on arm64

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon May 30 06:56:07 UTC 2022

On May 30, 2022, at 01:01, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> ah yes, your question was arm64-specific so that led to the gcc assumption.
>
> the way the cmake PG configures cmake breaks testing on all archs and systems.

It worked for me on Catalina x86_64 but not on Big Sur arm64, and I was trying to understand why this difference exists.

> this comes up regularly, eg
>
> https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2021-September/043754.html
>
> Perhaps it might beneficially be changed.

I'm assuming that just changing the default in the cmake 1.1 portgroup could cause problems (or at least nonreproducibility) for ports already using the portgroup, so perhaps this change, plus any others we want to make to the cmake portgroup, should be in a new cmake 1.2 portgroup.