ports.macports.org gives strange port dependencies

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sat Sep 24 01:32:07 UTC 2022

Hi,

I have noticed the ports web site appears to give some odd looking dependencies between ports. Take as a random example

https://ports.macports.org/port/pciids/details/

clang-15 is listed as a build dep. if you check the port file though I see no reason for this at all, in fact the port does not build anything and just installs a single file during destroot. So why does the site give the build dep it does ? Just running

port info pciids

On macOS12 does not give any deps, as expected.

I guess a probably related question is what OS is used to generate the deps, as these do vary across OSes, particularly build deps, and this is something the site does not take into account.

Cheers Chris