Xcode PortGroup: Xcode compiles code twice?

Fred Wright fw at fwright.net
Tue Aug 15 21:30:52 UTC 2023

On Tue, 15 Aug 2023, Jason Liu wrote:

> Yes, you're right that clearing the build phase doesn't prove anything, but
> I'm not sure I'm following your other point. Are you saying that "make
> install" will compile the source code? I was under the impression that you
> need to manually run "make" in order to actually compile the source code,
> hence the traditional magic formula of './configure ; make ; make install'.
> Without the first make, the "make install" shouldn't have anything to
> install. Or am I wrong about that?

Normally, "make install" implies "make" via dependencies, since with
properly constructed dependencies, make will notice that it's trying to
install something that hasn't been built, and correct that.  The main
advantage of doing them separately is that "make" doesn't require sudo,
while "make install" usually does.  If you skip the separate "make"
without sudo, then the implied build products wind up owned by root, and
even "make clean" requires sudo.

Fred Wright