Qt 5.10 skipped?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Aug 31 04:05:15 UTC 2023

> On Aug 30, 2023, at 19:40, Jason Liu wrote:
>
> I just noticed that Qt 5.9 and Qt 5.11 are available in MacPorts, but not Qt 5.10. Was there a specific reason why 5.10 was skipped, or was it just that no one got around to it before 5.11 was released?

Certainly qt 5.10.x existed in MacPorts. You can find bugs that were filed against it:

https://trac.macports.org/query?port=~qt5&summary=~%405.10 <https://trac.macports.org/query?port=~qt5&summary=~%405.10>

I couldn't immediately find the commit in which it was removed. It's a little difficult since the qt5 portfile is massive and there are also the qt5 portgroups. But I suspect it was deleted because there exists no macOS version for which qt 5.10.x is the most recent one available.

> And a somewhat tangential question: When using the qt5 PortGroup, is there a way to specify a particular version of Qt 5.x that needs to be used? I do see plenty of references to ${qt5.version}, but is that something that I am allowed to set in my Portfile?

Looking near the top of the qt5-1.0 portgroup,

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/_resources/port1.0/group/qt5-1.0.tcl <https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/_resources/port1.0/group/qt5-1.0.tcl>

the prominent placement of qt5.min_version suggests to me that it is intended for portfile authors to override it. 38 ports reference this variable.

I don't believe there is any way for you to specify a maximum qt version, nor a specific version. The qt5 portgroup will select the blessed qt version that is compatible with the user's OS version.