Getting updated cargo.crates

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Dec 7 23:59:53 UTC 2023

On 30/11/2023 18.46, Austin Ziegler wrote:
> I was opening a new PR to update a Rust dependency today and could not
> figure out how to update the `cargo.crates` section. Digging through the
> cargo-fetch portgroup pointed me
> to https://github.com/macports/macports-contrib/tree/master/cargo2port/cargo2port.tcl <https://github.com/macports/macports-contrib/tree/master/cargo2port/cargo2port.tcl>, which fails to run because the Cargo.lock format appears not to be the same as it was when written.

Indeed, the cargo2port in contrib does not support the V2 format:
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/60335

There is a note in the README.md right next to it, but it seems like
this is easily overlooked. Please use the port cargo2port instead:
https://ports.macports.org/port/cargo2port

I found an old reference to macports-contrib in the cargo_fetch port
group and openend a PR:
https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/21686

But there might be more links to the script, so keeping the
cargo2port.tcl in macports-contrib is probably more confusing than it
helps. The README.md next to it will not help users following a direct
link to the script.

How can we improve the situation with cargo2port in macports-contrib?
a) delete the cargo2port directory completely
b) stick a note directly into cargo2port.tcl

Rainer