Commit Messages

Aaron Madlon-Kay amake at macports.org
Sun Jul 16 01:46:41 UTC 2023

Thank you for pointing this out. This has been an annoyance for me, too.

I think perhaps some contributors may be unaware of the issue due to differences in tooling or perhaps just not noticing, but I thought illustrating the problem might help.

----

If you don’t include a blank line after the summary, in most(?) git tooling you will see the entire commit message on a single line that likely overflows the allotted UI. Example:

> Pothos*: add forgotten pg compiler_blacklist_versions See: https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/936460c22e467e2da904e4da1510dc8d0a71d1c4

With a blank line after the summary (before “See:”), the above will show as intended:

> Pothos*: add forgotten pg compiler_blacklist_versions

When viewing commit logs, it is important for readability that summaries be succinct. Spot the problem below!

> 6ff5870e1a2 py-pikepdf: update to 8.0.0
> 4804bfc7c58 qpdf: update to 11.5.0
> ff196f7ee42 sudo: update to 1.9.14p1
> beb390fb2ba TeXShop: update to 5.14
> fc485378a2e stunnel: update to 5.70
> 331c484f0c1 Pothos*: add forgotten pg compiler_blacklist_versions See: https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/936460c22e467e2da904e4da1510dc8d0a71d1c4
> 03e125ee250 Pothos: simplify via pg stub; rev-bump
> 936460c22e4 Pothos*: blacklist clang < 900
> f97be86b5f9 PothosCore: rev-bump due to muparserx ABI change

(Sorry to pick on commit 331c484f0c1. It was simply the first example I came across.)

-Aaron