Commit Messages

Fred Wright fw at fwright.net
Sun Jul 16 04:13:16 UTC 2023

On Sat, 15 Jul 2023, David Gilman wrote:

> I imagine this can be linted in the git local commit-msg hook. It
> won't stop a dedicated offender who can push directly to master but it
> wouldn't hurt to ship it in the macports-ports repo and promote it in
> the guidelines.

It would be fairly straightforward to catch this in a pre-commit hook, and
those apply at the time commits are created, and hence don't care about
whether the commits will eventually be pushed directly or submitted as
PRs.  But hooks don't propagate across repos, so such a hook would only
apply to users who'd explicitly installed it.

Another possibility would be a receiver-side hook on GitHub, but those
aren't intended for this sort of purpose, so constructing such a hook
would be more complicated.

Fred Wright