Qt5 on <= 10.6

Fred Wright fw at fwright.net
Sat Jul 29 23:57:13 UTC 2023

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023, Sergio Had wrote:

> Does Qt5 work on 10.5–10.6 Intel?
>
> It looks that at least earlier 5.x versions installed on 10.6: https://ports.macports.org/port/qt53/stats
> Presumably that should be fixable for 10.5 and PPC.
> (I am not sure if 5.3 is of much use though – do developers of ports depending on Qt5 support it still?)
>
> P. S. Given how much efforts it takes every time to fix something for
> Qt4, even if it means just digging out a right version and reverting
> some commits, I start asking a question if it is easier just to fix some
> early 5.x version. There should not be anything arch-specific, it should
> be just C++, I guess. Just find fallbacks for whatever misses in SDK,
> but if it works on 10.6 Intel, it might be pretty feasible.

One shouldn't assume that Qt5 is a drop-in replacement for Qt4.  At one
point, I'd added an option to gpsd to allow building with Qt5, and it
worked at the time I created it.  But later on, something changed to break
the build with Qt5, and I never tracked it down, so for now it's stuck on
Qt4.  This is unfortunate, since Qt4 seems to think that any processor
that's not x86 must be ppc, so building against Qt4 on the M1 falls on its
face trying to include ppc-specific code.  The Qt4 build itself works,
just not building gpsd against it.

Fred Wright