More classes of maintainer

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Thu Nov 2 14:19:42 UTC 2023

On 11/1/23 21:54, Joshua Root wrote:
> On 2/11/2023 12:32, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>> As an aside, as it stands, the rules situation with closed maintainer
>> / open maintainer is kind of unpleasant already. For example, I'd
>> like to be able to indicate that I'm happy with anyone making
>> reasonable changes to my ports on their own without waiting three
>> days for me, but there's no way to do that, because "open maintainer"
>> really means "three day timeout" just like closed. It would be nice
>> if we had some sort of larger set of gradations for what people
>> prefer, from "I handle all commits on this, period" to "if you have
>> commit access and want to help, don't ask, just do it."
>
> A reasonable idea. I'd say that at some point you become less of a
> maintainer and more of an interested party, but a list of people who
> would just like to be Cc'd on the tickets and PRs for a port isn't a
> bad thing to have.
>
> We seem to have somewhat different experiences, as the reason I
> removed openmaintainer from some of my ports was that it seemed to be
> interpreted more like "commit whatever you want without asking." So
> being able to set expectations more clearly would be nice.

For most of my stuff, I don't want to get in the way of trivial updates.
If that just makes me an "interested party" so be it. What process would
work here?

>> As another aside, we also have a ton of ghost maintainers who never
>> respond but whose name being on the port means you have to
>> ritualistically wait three days for a reply you know will never come.
>
> This is of course what the Port Abandoned procedure is for.
> Regrettably however, it also involves a three-day wait. :)

The problem is, with separate trac and github stuff, there's now more
friction on those tickets, and I don't think it happens very much in
practice. Maybe part of that might be an indication that it's time to
move the ticket system to github, and the other trac pages into a github
wiki.

Perry