More classes of maintainer

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Nov 3 00:58:53 UTC 2023

On 02/11/2023 21.19, Herby G wrote:
> I actually do think moving tickets and issues from Trac to GitHub Issues
> is a good idea, and would increase engagement for the project.

We evaluated this option thoroughly back in 2016 when we moved the code
repositories to GitHub. As far as I remember it was Ryan who even did a
test run of a conversion of all the Trac tickets to GitHub Issues. The
evaluation phase of different tools went on for weeks.

But the results and the experience with GitHub Issues were not to our
satisfaction. In the end, we decided to keep Trac for the tickets. The
hope was that hosting our own Trac instance would also offer more
flexible options for future improvements, while with GitHub Issues we
would be locked in.

We integrated our Trac instance more closely with GitHub and invested
effort to improve the trac-github plugin (login, roles based on GitHub
teams, closing tickets on merge, links for commit hashes, etc.).

For reference, this was the announcement of the migration to GitHub in
the mail archive:
https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2016-August/033405.html

Did the situation change since our assessment back then? As far as I am
aware, there is still not a way to categorize GitHub Issues except with
labels. How would we manage the ~4000 open tickets for ports with GitHub
Issues?

Rainer