More classes of maintainer

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Nov 6 14:40:46 UTC 2023

On November 6, 2023 12:49:26 PM GMT+01:00, Mark Anderson <mark at macports.org> wrote:
>The other thing that is different now is GitHub issues and projects have
>come a long way in terms of features - we can probably implement everything
>we do on Trac on Github as well.

Well, that is what I was asking... I am not aware of improvements. What has changed with GitHub Issues?

How would we find issues for specific ports? There is only a lose full-text search. Imagine how that will work for a port named "add" (real example) or any other common English word.

You cannot assign issues to non-member maintainers (at least they would have to leave a comment first). We already experience the same situation for pull-requests where mentions are used as a workaround.

GitHub Projects are nice, but we are not an agile development team doing sprints. If we moved the tickets for base it would be replacement for the milestones on Trac.

But I don't see how GitHub Projects would help us with the issues for ports, which are most of the tickets being filed every day.

>As I recall Github issues didn't have all the features we needed. It also
>would help us not need to manage our own Trac instance.

The other big part of Trac is the wiki. GitHub also has a wiki, but only on the level of repositories. However, our wiki also covers many topics that overlap between base, ports, etc.

Conversion of the wiki to GitHub with Markdown syntax would certainly be possible, but to me that feels like hiding it even more and will not give it more exposure.

Rainer