Fwd: Re: Re: Qt 5.10 skipped?

Jason Liu jasonliu at umich.edu
Sat Sep 2 02:43:00 UTC 2023

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <chrischavez at gmx.us>
Date: Fri, Sep 1, 2023 at 10:21 PM
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Qt 5.10 skipped?
To: Jason Liu <jasonliu at umich.edu>

My email is once again blocked from posting to the mailing lists; please
forward this.

On 9/1/23 at 5:34 PM, Jason Liu wrote:

> Yes, I do have the crash report that gets generated by macOS when the
> application crashes. I haven't reported it anywhere, because this is an
> old, obsolete version of both the software and the version of Qt that's
> involved.

MacPorts’ trac would still be a good place to report this.

> I thought about using the 'symbolicatecrash' tool that comes with Xcode,
> but I've never had any luck getting it to work properly. I suppose I could
> also use 'atos' to symbolicate line by line, but I don't even know where
> begin getting my hands on the dSYM build symbols from the MacPorts build
of
> Qt 5.11.

I am not familiar with these tools (mainly since I have not needed to use
them yet), however my impression is that (1) they are not very useful for
certain “release“ builds which do not have debugging symbols to begin with,
and/or (2) they are only needed for a debug build where symbols have been
stripped.

I do not know whether rebuilding the relevant qt511 ports with the +debug
variant enabled works or will help get a more useful crash report, but that
is what I would suggest trying next.