Clean up PROJ mess

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Fri Sep 8 14:38:05 UTC 2023

As a contributor to ncarg (proj5), I like this change.  Currently there are
only 10 ports that depend on the traditional "proj" which is really proj5
under the hood.  Collectively there are only 3 maintainers plus a few
nomaintainers, and Sergey has already approved for several of the R ports.

So I see the migration for this group of "proj5" ports as quite simple.  As
a first step, could we add an explicit proj5 port, such that proj and proj5
co-exist temporarily and are exactly the same?  That could be done safely
now, with no impact on anything else.  Then after migration of those 10
ports, "proj" could be easily switched to the latest upstream version, as
proposed.