portfile questions

Langer, Stephen A. (Fed) stephen.langer at nist.gov
Wed Sep 13 04:12:46 UTC 2023

Hi --

I'm getting ready to update the oof2 and oofcanvas ports and have a few questions.   I created the initial portfiles with a lot of help from the admins and I'm still more or less a novice at this.

The original versions were built with distutils, but the new ones use cmake.  The installed files include an executable python script, a bunch of python  modules, and some libraries built from C++ code.   I think I should use the cmake portgroup instead of the python portgroup, because doesn't the portgroup determine if the build is done with cmake or python.  I see that some other ports use both so I am missing something.

If I use the python portgroup, then I'd have subports pyXY-oof2 and pyXY-oofcanvas.  Would users of the old oof2 and oofcanvas ports know to upgrade to the new ports?

If the new portfile doesn't use the python portgroup, I assume I should just offer variants for different python versions. Is there a standard way to choose the default variant, to reduce the chances of installing extra python versions if a user doesn't already have the one I've chosen as the default?

Thanks.
-- Steve