{ darwin any } ports getting reinstalled after OS upgrade

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Wed Sep 27 13:14:01 UTC 2023

Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:

> On 27/9/2023 23:01, Nils Breunese wrote:
>
>> You can do this:
>> 	platforms { darwin any } { darwin >= 11 }
>> Which means that the port will install on Darwin 11+, and it will install identically on all of those supported versions.
>
> Or the simpler form
>
> platforms {darwin any >= 11}

I do agree that the syntax is a bit confusing. I’m not sure that allowing ‘platforms { darwin any >= 11}’ would make it less confusing though, because at first sight it looks like it might be the same as ‘platforms { darwin >= 11 }’, which it wouldn’t be. What OS versions are supported and whether a port installs identically on all supported OS versions should actually maybe be distinguished more explicitly, instead of getting mixed more closely?

Nils.