libchloride: Deprecate port request

chrischavez at gmx.us chrischavez at gmx.us
Sat Sep 30 03:03:29 UTC 2023

On 9/29/23 at 8:42 PM, Keto wrote:

> Hey,
>
> While attempting to update all of libsodium's dependents, I came across
> several failures for libchloride - a wrapper around libsodium and its
> capabilities.
>
> The project slows down the progress of updating all ports dependent of
> libsodium, as attempting to build it with the latest version of libsodium
> is not possible. Given that the project has not had any updates for almost
> 9 years and has been archived on Github, it's safe to assume that upstream
> will no longer provide support for this project. Thus the port should be
> deprecated.
>
> How MacPorts handles deprecation is still uncharted waters for me. However,
> this seems to be the course of action until someone (even upstream) decides
> to maintain the project for future versions of libsodium, which was a
> comment made on the pull request that I made (1).
>
> Further discussion and input is fully appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Keto
>
> ---
>
> 1.
> https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/20537#issuecomment-1730301857

In addition to being discontinued upstream and not offered by other package managers, libchloride has zero use elsewhere in MacPorts, has been known to fail to build for over 5 years, and has zero reported installations.
I propose deleting it rather than deprecating it:
https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/20648