Support for ancient machines and operating systems

Kirill A. Korinsky kirill at korins.ky
Mon Jan 8 20:08:56 UTC 2024

> On 8. Jan 2024, at 20:55, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:
>
> On 9/1/2024 01:53, Kirill A. Korinsky wrote:
>> How do you see the way to backport changes from upstream MacPorts to legacy MacPorts?
>> at some point automatical merge would be broken on conflicts, and I assume quite fast.
>
> I would posit that if maintaining a patch set in your fork is a lot of work, most of that work would still have to be done if the patch set were maintained in the mainline repo, it's just "invisible" work because you're not the one who has to do it.

I mean automatical merge from mainstream repo to legacy repo.

At some point it had encountered conflict due to reformatting or something like this.

All of this conflict need to be supported by hand.

And yes, I've tried to support fork, and I strongly suggest to avoid that, it's quiet time consuming.

--
wbr, Kirill