maintaining packages in macports vs. in a language package manager

contextnerror ​ contextnerror at outlook.com
Sun Mar 10 23:09:14 UTC 2024

There was talk of bringing this feature to upt.
https://github.com/macports/upt-macports/issues/46

On Mar 10, 2024, at 3:58 PM, Perry Metzger <perry at piermont.com> wrote:

On 3/9/24 13:26, Zero King wrote:
It seems that we are going with option 2 for ocaml ports now and many new ports
have being added. Are you aware of any tool like pypi2port that could help
speed up the process of packaging new ocaml ports for MacPorts?

So I'm not familiar with such a tool yet. However, opam files contain all the information MacPorts would want to build an ocaml package, and it should be very simple to parse them into Portfiles. The format of an opam file is pretty trivial. I never have had the time to do this, but it would be very welcome if someone did it.

Perry