external build progress reporting cli utility?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 18:35:35 UTC 2024

>You can run the build under screen / tmux.

Sure, but that only works if you think about it before launching it. And I only know `screen` as a utility to run multiple commands/sessions from a single shell, a more advanced for of the Ctrl-Z, bg and fg shell commands. What I'm thinking about is phoning in from anywhere and peek at the logfile through a filter that detects the `:info:[^ ]* [X/Y] .*` from the possibly interminable compiler commands in that file and presents them in an easy to digest fashion.

My initial idea was to roll my own, and then I realised the code to do this exists and that it might be possible to write a Tcl script that reuses that code. Heck, maybe it's even an idea to implement something like a `port state foo` command that prints the currently executing phase for port:foo and the current progress if that information is available.

R.