cmake PG should ensure correct libdir, otherwise ports are broken on linux

Sergey Fedorov vital.had at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 01:37:24 UTC 2024

On Tue, Sep 17, 2024 at 10:12 PM Ken Cunningham <
ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com> wrote:

> In my PPC Debian world, my 64-bit installation of Debian PPC is quite able
> to run 32 bit software.
>
> Linux does this by putting the libraries into lib64 or lib32 subfolders,
> as Linux does not use "Fat binaries".
>
> So if you go down this road with MacPorts, then presumably that ability
> will be lost as there will be only one library folder.

It will be equally fine if everything installs libraries either into lib64
or into lib32. And then /lib just does not exist.
The problem is that it is not what happens. And while forcing CMake to
comply with /lib is easy, I have no idea how to do that for autotools etc.,
which usually do not have a dedicated portgroup. But if someone can do it
this way, that gonna solve the problem.