seems to be a tonne of opportunity to smoke fink

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 14:47:39 UTC 2024

sure, there are many challenges building current software on older systems.

regarding a newer lldb for older systems, I built one by hand too, but nobody has so far done the work to fix it for the general case. For me, I often debug usually on 10.14, where many tools do work, yet the fixes apply back to older systems. If you wanted to take on the project of getting an lldb like lldb-5.0 running on 10.6 and up, we’d all appreciate that.

but altering the libcxx port would not be needed for that.

regarding glib2, yes it needs work for more arch support too. there is a ticket for that. There is a maintainer who was, for a while, white-hot keen and took over about 500 ports and then has basically disappeared the past year or so. Sometime ports having maintainers is actually a bad thing, as others tend to leave things to them. If you wanted to make an attempt to upgrade glib2 that would be appreciated too.

but the libcxx port is not involved in that fix either.

regarding the nodejs ports, same thing. Have at it. They may or may not need macports-libcxx on older systems, I haven’t looked that closely.

but the libcxx port is not involved there either.

I’m a “focus-and-simplify” guy. Spend time where it is most needed. Eliminate cruft and screwy confusing spaghetti code, etc.

Moving the ball forward on your noted port failures won’t be helped by opening a Pandora’s box of upgrading the libcxx port on 10.6.

Ken