Mactel 10.4.8 evolution-data-server build failure

Robert J. Hansen rjhansen at cs.uiowa.edu
Mon Dec 4 22:46:15 PST 2006

I'm trying to build gnome-desktop-suite on a MacBook Pro using OS X
10.4.8 and the latest XCode tools.  I have just installed
MacPorts/DarwinPorts 1.3.1 via the OS X installer package.

evolution-data-server is failing due to a multiple definition of
libiconv.  Looking around on the net didn't turn up anything useful (at
least not in a quick search), so I figured I'd toss it out here and see
if anyone had any suggestions for me.

I've tried to build this twice now.  After the first bomb, I decided to
wipe /opt entirely and start anew, on the off chance that there was
something stale that was causing it.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.  Thanks much for
any help you can offer!

=====

--->  Building evolution-data-server with target all
Error: Target com.apple.build returned: shell command "cd
"/opt/local/var/db/dports/build/_opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_dports_gnome_evolution-data-server/work/evolution-data-server-1.8.0"
&& make all" returned error 2
Command output: ld: multiple definitions of symbol
_POA_GNOME_Evolution_Addressbook_Book__init
.libs/Evolution-DataServer-Addressbook-skels.o definition of
_POA_GNOME_Evolution_Addressbook_Book__init in section (__TEXT,__text)
../../addressbook/libebook/.libs/libebook-1.2.dylib(Evolution-DataServer-Addressbook-skels.o)
definition of _POA_GNOME_Evolution_Addressbook_Book__init
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol __libiconv_version
/usr/lib/libiconv.dylib(iconv.o) definition of __libiconv_version
/opt/local/lib/libiconv.dylib(iconv.o) definition of __libiconv_version
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _libiconv
/usr/lib/libiconv.dylib(iconv.o) definition of _libiconv
/opt/local/lib/libiconv.dylib(iconv.o) definition of _libiconv
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _libiconv_close
/usr/lib/libiconv.dylib(iconv.o) definition of _libiconv_close
/opt/local/lib/libiconv.dylib(iconv.o) definition of _libiconv_close
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _libiconv_open
/usr/lib/libiconv.dylib(iconv.o) definition of _libiconv_open
/opt/local/lib/libiconv.dylib(iconv.o) definition of _libiconv_open
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _libiconvctl
/usr/lib/libiconv.dylib(iconv.o) definition of _libiconvctl
/opt/local/lib/libiconv.dylib(iconv.o) definition of _libiconvctl
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _libiconvlist
/usr/lib/libiconv.dylib(iconv.o) definition of _libiconvlist
/opt/local/lib/libiconv.dylib(iconv.o) definition of _libiconvlist
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _libiconv_set_relocation_prefix
/opt/local/lib/libiconv.dylib(relocatable.o) definition of
_libiconv_set_relocation_prefix
/usr/lib/libiconv.dylib(relocatable.o) definition of
_libiconv_set_relocation_prefix
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
make[4]: *** [libedata-book-1.2.la] Error 1
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2