starting fresh

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue Dec 12 13:42:17 PST 2006

On Dec 12, 2006, at 3:57 PM, eoghan wrote:
> Due to a number of problems im having (with dependencies and so on)
> Id like to start afresh with my ports...
> I dont have many, really only needing apache/php/mysql... how would
> i start over? I assume removing /opt is a bad idea?
> Any suggestions?

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/FAQ

"How do I remove or uninstall MacPorts?
MacPorts can be removed by issuing the following command from within
Terminal:

sudo rm -rf /opt/local /Applications/DarwinPorts /Library/Tcl/
darwinports1.0 /Library/StartupItems/DarwinPortsStartup

Please note that this command removes all software installed using
MacPorts as well as MacPorts itself. This includes configuration
files for any ports which were installed; if you need to keep them,
back them up before the rm (they should be in /opt/local/etc).

This command does not remove files installed to locations outside the
agreed directory tree. Thus ports that write in other places should
be removed manually before removing MacPorts altogether. This
includes at least xfig and transfig, but probably other X11 ports as
well.

sudo port uninstall xfig; sudo port uninstall transfig"

--
Daniel J. Luke