install of octave not possible?

Marius Schamschula marius173 at mchsi.com
Thu Dec 14 03:47:41 PST 2006

For what is worth,

As a longtime member of the octave mailing list, and as someone who
regularly builds octave without MacPorts or Fink, let me add the
current thinking about building octave under Mac OS X 10.4.x:

Apple's gcc 4.0.1 together with g95.org's g95 work well under both
PPC and Intel machines for building octave 2.9.9.

In my experience, gfortran has caused lots of problems.

On Dec 14, 2006, at 5:26 AM, Anthony Agelastos wrote:

> On Dec 14, 2006, at 12:09 AM, Andy Kish wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 13, 2006, at 6:00 PM, Gregory Wright wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, this is really necessary.  The gcc40 port was built so you
>>> would have a gfortran that is
>>> ABI compatible with your gcc and g++.  Apple does not supply
>>> gfortran so MacPorts has to build it.
>>> (And Octave really does have modules written in c, c++ and
>>> fortran :-) )
>>
>> Is gcc40 the standard port to depend upon when one needs a fortran
>> compiler? The reason for all the current py-scipy bugs on trac is
>> that the port doesn't install a fortran compiler as a dependancy.
>> I put up a patch for it, but told it to depend upon gcc41. Should
>> that be changed to gcc40?
> I think it should be changed to gcc42 since gcc40 doesn't work on
> Intel Macs (last time I checked). I hope this helps.
>
> -Anthony
>

>> Thanks,
>> Andy

Marius
--
Marius Schamschula                               Webmaster

         The Huntsville Macintosh Users Group
                     www.hmug.org

webmaster at hmug dot org    marius at schamschula dot com