sudo port selfupdate (was Re: http://www.macports.org/downloads/)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Dec 14 09:28:47 PST 2006

On Dec 14, 2006, at 01:26, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

>> The Pextlib.dylib file is also not universal. I opened the
>> DarwinPorts-1.3.1.pkg, extracted the Archive.pax.gz file,
>> extracted the contents and copied the proper dylib file from there...
>
> jeeeez :)
>
> _THAT_ worked :)
>
> Thank you very much, Ryan, Paul and Chuck for your hints.
>
> Now, I think that deserves some kind of explanation of the top page
> of MacPorts, don't you think ?

No, I think MacPorts needs to work properly without requiring such
ridiculous fiddling. I don't know the MacPorts internals, but can
someone who does please comment on WTF is going on here? Why can most
people install MacPorts just fine, but some people experience this
problem that is so cumbersome to fix? How do we fix it in MacPorts so
nobody needs to muck with it like this to get it to work?