A variety of problems

Eric Angell lists-macports-users at magicpacket.net
Thu Dec 14 10:24:59 PST 2006

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 20:20:40 -0600, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Why is your /opt inside /private? That should not be. Perhaps you
> installed the Cisco VPN client and it screwed up your MacPorts?
>
> This used to be in the FAQ but was removed two months ago, apparently
> because Cisco fixed their VPN client. But maybe you used an older
> version.

Thanks again.  I put /private/opt back in /opt, removed the Cisco
vpn client (I no longer work there, so I don't need it),
performed the rebuilding step to fix the libintl problem, and
reran `port install gnucash`.  The only thing that didn't go
smoothly was that `port -duf uninstall foo` didn't remove the old
unactivated versions of foo as suggested by
http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/ProblemHotlist
so I had to run a bunch of uninstall foo @version commands by
hand.  It didn't quite take all 15 hours I guessed originally...

That's one bizarre bug.

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 20:33:04 -0800, Mark Duling wrote:

> The Cisco client is up to 4.9.01 now and the bug was quashed
> some time ago.

Yes, but when one's company says "here's the vpn client package,
and it's preloaded with a list of configurations for our various
incoming vpn servers", it's easy just to install it and see that
it works.  Also, this was over a year ago, so it may have been
the newest version at that point.  Since the installer was what
messed everything up, I don't expect that upgrading to a later
version would have fixed it.

-E