Problem installing GnuCash

Kevin Ballard eridius at macports.org
Thu Dec 14 14:23:27 PST 2006

On Dec 14, 2006, at 12:30 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Dec 14, 2006, at 08:11, Andrew Wilson wrote:
>
>> I have been trying to install GnuCash Version 2 on Mac OS X 10.4
>> using the release in Macports and get the following error:
>>
>> ------------------------
>> grep: /Users/Shared/Downloads/ChatServer-37.1/build/usr/local/lib/
>> libintl.la: No such file or directory
>> sed: /Users/Shared/Downloads/ChatServer-37.1/build/usr/local/lib/
>> libintl.la: No such file or directory
>> libtool: link: `/Users/Shared/Downloads/ChatServer-37.1/build/usr/
>> local/lib/libintl.la' is not a valid libtool archive
>> make[5]: *** [libgncmod-gnome-utils.la] Error 1
>> make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
>> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>>
>> Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
>> -------------------
>>
>> Why is it trying to access a library from ChatServer?  I have
>> tried most things, including updating all the dependencies on the
>> gettext supplied libintl library.  I am on MacPorts version 1.320
>> and have done a recent sync.
>
> I'm guessing here.... do you have a libintl (or did you once) in /
> usr/local? If so, get rid of it (or move it temporarily out of the
> way), then try to install GnuCash again.

If he had a libintl in /usr/local, shouldn't it be complaining about /
usr/local? It's complaining about some directory it should never even
be touching.

Unless, of course, /usr/local/libintl.la is a symlink to that
location, *and* libtool resolves symlinks before passing it off to
the utilities it calls. I checked, and grep reports problems on the
symlink, not on the destination file, when called with a symlink that
points to nothing.

--
Kevin Ballard
http://kevin.sb.org