php5 +apache installation workaround

Emory Smith emory.smith at gmail.com
Sun Dec 24 03:59:36 PST 2006

> Re: php5 +apache installation workaround
> js
> Fri, 22 Dec 2006 07:15:23 -0800
>> A month or two ago, I proposed eliminating the ability to use Apple's
>> Apache and only use MacPorts's Apache. Several people objected to
>> this, which is why I proposed the compromise in which both are
>> available.
>>
>> Some reasons to prefer Apple's are that it gets auto-upgraded by
>> Software Update, and that you can control it from System Preferences
>>  > Sharing > Personal Web Sharing. With the MacPorts version, you
>> have to use the terminal for both tasks, something some users are not
>> comfortable with.
>
> Now I understand the situation, Thank you.
> But still I can't use php5 MacPorts' apache...
> Could you please tell me the way to use MacPorts'  apache with php5
> without
> manually editing php5's portfile?
>
> I tried:
> $ port install php5 +mysql5
> # failed. seems variant macosx is implicitly used.(my variants.conf
> is empty)
>
> #so I tried the next.
> $ port install php5 -macosx +mysql5
> configure: error: This c-client library is built with Kerberos
> support.
>      Add --with-kerberos to your configure line. Check config.log
> for details.
>
> I didn't try but I think if I'd use +apache2
> because variant apache2 don't have "if { ! [variant_isset macosx] }"
> on the portfile.

hi js,

you are correct about the macosx variant being implicitly used, even
though it isnt in the variants.conf file (which seems to me a blatant
contradiction of macports philosophy).

the best solution ive found to this problem is to disable it by
adding the following line to /opt/local/etc/ports/variants.conf:

-macosx

the minus sign does the opposite of the plus so the "macosx" variant
will be disabled unless explicitly specified (as it should be, i
believe).

turning off the macosx variant, however, will leave php apache-less,
so you have to explicitly tell it to use either +apache or +apache2
(either one should work fine now that the macosx variant is out of
the picture).

-emory

ps - thanks for bringing this issue up ... im glad to know im not the
only one to find it so unintuitive.