(no subject)

Merton Campbell Crockett m.c.crockett at adelphia.net
Fri Dec 29 19:14:55 PST 2006

On 29 Dec 2006, at 15:46:01, Mark Duling wrote:

> Merton Campbell Crockett <m.c.crockett at adelphia.net> on Friday,
> December
> 29, 2006 at 3:07 PM -0800 wrote:
>> I ran into similar problems without Fink being installed.  I found
>> that I had to change the file name to ~./.bash_profile to get
>> consistent results.  Also, as I tend to use an X Terminal instead of
>> the Apple Terminal, I discovered that I needed to add the "-ls"
>> switch to the ~./.xinitrc file and the X11 Terminal application.
>
> Do you have multiple shell profiles?  In the MacPorts install
> instructions
> after editing the .profile, I put this in the Important Notes:
>
> Other profile files may conflict with ~./profile and should be
> removed, so
> remove any occurrances of these files:
> 	•	~/.bash_login
> 	•	~/.bash_profile
>
> That was my stab at anticipating problems.  I'm not entirely sure
> it is
> correct, but it seems like a bad idea to have more than one and I'm
> not
> sure the order of precedence if these files are present in addition to
> ~/.profile.

I'm not sure when I noticed that the contents of ~/.profile were not
being incorporated into my environment.  It may have been just after
upgrading to Mac OS X 10.4 or after one of the upgrades that have
been released.  It didn't become a real issue until I attempted to
upgrade Ethereal to analyze a network problem.

I wanted to have the same environment and behaviour whether I used
Apple Terminal or an X11 xterm.  To achieve that goal, I found that I
needed to have a ~/.bash_profile.  I incorporated the DarwinPorts' ~./
profile contents into the ~/.bash_profile to eliminate the problems
that I was having.  As you note, the ~./profile file will be ignored
when ~/.bash_profile exists.

Merton Campbell Crockett
m.c.crockett at adelphia.net