listing/finding ports

Kevin Ballard eridius at macports.org
Fri Dec 29 19:19:44 PST 2006

If you don't have the file installed on your system, then MacPorts
has no way of knowing what port provides it.

In terms of dependency resolution, various ports say "I depend on
library foo", and it finds the port for it because that port is
explicitly declared in the dependency.

But in the general case, MacPorts really has no idea what ports
provide what files until you install the ports.

--
Kevin Ballard
http://kevin.sb.org
eridius at macports.org