Getting graphviz working...?

Eric Gorr mailist at ericgorr.net
Thu Nov 2 06:21:38 PST 2006

I was hoping someone could help me get things configured properly for
dot on my Mac running 10.4.8.
I am using dot 2.8

My simple graph file is:

digraph test123 {
        a -> b -> c;
}

when I run dot from the terminal, I get the following output:

The plugin configuration file:
         /opt/local/lib/graphviz/config
                 was successfully loaded.
     render      :  canon cmap cmapx dia dot fig gd gd2 gif hpgl imap
ismap jpeg jpg mif mp pcl pic plain plain-ext png ps ps2 svg svgz
vrml vtx wbmp xdot
     layout      :  circo dot fdp neato nop nop1 nop2 twopi
     textlayout  :
     device      :
     usershape   :  png-gd
dot: fontname=Times-Roman fontpath=[internal times]
network simplex: 3 nodes 2 edges 0 iter 0.00 sec
mincross: pass 0 iter 0 trying 0 cur_cross 0 best_cross 0
mincross test123: 0 crossings, 0.00 secs.
network simplex: 5 nodes 4 edges 0 iter 0.00 sec
routesplines: 2 edges, 6 boxes 0.00 sec
dot: allocating a 20K PaletteColor GD image
Error: fontconfig: Didn't find expected font family. Perhaps URW Type
1 fonts need installing? : Times-Roman

I am not certain how to work around this font problem, when
installing from MacPorts.

Any suggestions?