How to get out of this foolish position?

Taka Fukuda fukuda at computer.org
Sat Nov 4 12:34:25 PST 2006

At Thu, 02 Nov 2006 08:32:01 -0800,
Taka Fukuda wrote:

    Hi,

    I am quite a new MacOS X user, and I happened to fall
    into a very annoying situation as follows...

    When I tried to remove a package, I got

fukuda at quadra:~% sudo port -f uninstall perl5.8
--->  Unable to uninstall perl5.8 5.8.8_0+darwin_8, the following ports depend on it:
--->    p5-xml-parser
--->    autoconf
--->    automake
--->    gnome-mime-data
--->    vnc
Warning: Uninstall forced.  Proceeding despite dependencies.
--->  Uninstalling perl5.8 5.8.8_0+darwin_8

    It seemed that the uninstall was successful, but when I
    tried to install it, I got

fukuda at quadra:~% sudo port -f install perl5.8
--->  Installing perl5.8 5.8.8_0+darwin_8
Error: Target com.apple.install returned: Registry error: perl5.8 5.8.8_0+darwin_8 already registered as installed.  Please uninstall it first.
fukuda at quadra:~%

    I repeated these commands with some other options, but
    neither of them did not work.  I cannot
    install or uninstall Perl, and this prohibits porting of
    many other packages.

    Could you show me how to get out of this situation?

    Thanks,

--
--                                               Taka Fukuda
--                                    fukuda at computer.org