port whatsnew

Luc Heinrich luc at honk-honk.com
Mon Nov 6 10:40:59 PST 2006

Greetings,

I don't know about you, but having to manually look for changes
information everytime there is an update on one of my installed ports
slightly annoys me :) I would love to have a 'whatsnew' port action
for example.

Major version changes or even minor version changes would be nice to
have but could probably simply be a direct link to the changelog on
the web if it's available. On the other hand, I find Portfile changes
(0.0.0_x changes) usually pretty important to see because they can
introduce some pretty drastic changes in some cases, some you may or
may not want to apply on your installed tree (the recent ruby 1.8.5_1
change I'm talking about in another message is an example). In this
case, it would be cool to directly display the last commit message
and have a direct link to the corresponding changeset to have all the
nitty-gritty details, all this instead of having to go to the
MacPorts Trac site and manually dig into the source and history browser.

Something like:

% port whatsnew ruby
1.8.5_0 -> 1.8.5_1
- take over