Latest ruby 1.8.5_1

Paul Guyot pguyot at kallisys.net
Mon Nov 6 15:15:48 PST 2006

Le 7 nov. 06 à 07:42, Jordan K. Hubbard a écrit :

> On Nov 6, 2006, at 2:02 PM, Paul Guyot wrote:
>
>> I don't know how to turn it into a variant in such a way that
>> without this variant, ruby doesn't touch tk & tcl if they're
>> available.
>
> Well, maybe if the trace code returned ENOENT on any attempt to
> satisfy non-explicit dependencies, you could use it to create a
> virtual chroot and then turn that virtual chroot mode on by
> default.   Oh wait, we already went over all that in the message
> you cited. :-) :-)

Heh. You love to be right, don't you?

I gave more thought to the way MacPorts work recently and I believe
trace mode needs to be on by default. Then the problem is that it
generates warnings where we want errors to make sure that portfiles
are correct. In such a case, we want the minimum dependency set. For
example, many ports will use MP install or autoconf where the system
one would be perfectly fine. So yes, I changed my mind and I think we
should have a chroot-like environment like you suggested -- it has
some holes as ports could disable the dyld injection, but I guess
it's fine for what we're doing, it's not a security concern, and it's
much cheaper than a real chroot with union mounts, and it provides
informations about forbidden accesses.

The problem is I don't have enough time to implement all this now. I
toyed with ruby ports because of a work project of mine that is based
on ruby. I'll try to do the 1.3.3 release as asked by James, but I
think this will be all for 2006.

Paul
--
Ministre ultraplénipotentiaire en disponibilité.
Mobile. Sans baignoire fixe.