MacIntel app crashes when installing ports

Michael Ross mgross at psych.umass.edu
Tue Nov 7 21:26:22 PST 2006

I'm using MacPorts on a MacBook Pro and I've found that installing
large ports that require extensive compilation (particularly octave)
appears to cause the other applications on my system to become
unstable. I've particularly noticed lots of Mail and Safari crashes.

I'm well aware that bad memory is often to blame for these sorts of
problems, but I haven't had them when installing Fink packages that
required similar amounts of compilation. My hardware test passes
fine, and my logic board has been recently replaced (and the problems
occurred before logic board replacement as well).

Has anyone else experienced this?

----
Michael Ross
mgross at psych.umass.edu