port uninstall silently ignores unknown flags?

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Thu Nov 9 11:54:05 PST 2006

On Nov 9, 2006, at 11:30 AM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> On Nov 9, 2006, at 2:19 PM, David Glasser wrote:
>> I've been sitting here typing variations
>>
>> $ sudo port uninstall --force subversion @1.4.2_0
>>
>> for ten minutes before somebody nice on IRC told me to try -f.
>> Shouldn't port complain when it sees an unknown flag?
>
> It does for short arguments, but not for long-form ones (see
> "port.tcl" line 2197).
>
> I'm not sure if the existing behavior is used by anyone, or not,
> though.

The long options are used in several actions. The qualification of
these long options is up to individual actions. Currently where these
are used they test for the presence of particular options, but don't
look for unknown or malformed options they don't know about. It would
be possible, though somewhat tiresome, to validate those for each
action.

James