graphviz-cairo and perl5.8

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Nov 14 19:53:52 PST 2006

On Nov 14, 2006, at 21:29, Curt Siffert wrote:

> graphviz-cairo requires graphviz, cairo, and p5-xml-parser .  I
> have the graphviz and the cairo ports installed.

Ah, you know, I never realized there was a separate graphviz-cairo
port. I always figured there would have been a +cairo variant for the
graphviz port, and since there wasn't one, I assumed the MacPorts
version just didn't support cairo. Shows what I know.

> p5-xml-parser requires perl5.8 .  I can't bring myself to install
> the perl5.8 port.  :)
>
> Because, I'm on Tiger, and I already have perl5.8 .  Do I really
> need an entire separate installation of perl5.8 (5.8.8 instead of
> 5.8.6) to install graphviz-cairo?  How can I get around this?  Is
> this a bug with the port?

MacPorts is designed to be self-sufficient, so yes, it installs its
own Perl, and no, there's not supposed to be a way to get around it,
nor is it to be considered a bug; it's a feature. This is in the FAQ:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/
FAQ#WhyisMacPortsusingitsownlibraries

Note that cairo support is integrated into the base code in the
graphviz 2.9 development line, which will become the stable graphviz
2.10 release eventually. So building graphviz 2.10 with cairo will be
very different (hopefully easier) than building graphviz 2.8 with
cairo. I don't know if it still requires perl.

In fact I don't know why the current graphviz-cairo port requires
perl. Perhaps the port author could comment.

FYI, I maintain standalone binary builds of graphviz 2.9 with cairo
for Mac OS X, if you don't mind that it's not a part of your MacPorts
system. You can get it here:

http://www.ryandesign.com/graphviz/