xemacs +sumo +mule +carbon question

Arnaud Delobelle delobelle at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Nov 19 04:37:22 PST 2006

On 18 Nov 2006, at 22:39, belinda thom wrote:

> Hello,

Hi

> I've installed xemacs (w/variants listed in subject line)
> successfully on my G5 running OS X 10.4.8.
>
> I'm wondering what the recommended method for upgrading packages
> (and in particular, python-mode packages)  is.

[...]

> I've temporarily downloaded this to a junk directory, so I could
> diff the macports-provided python-mode.el, which lives in:
>
> Applications/MacPorts/XEmacs.app/Contents/Resources/lib/xemacs/
> xemacs-packages/lisp/python-modes/
>
> with the sourceforge python-mode.el. They're definitely different.
> Sourceforge's version is 4.75, whereas the one distributed thru
> macports is 4.52.
>
> Is the macports xemacs install out of date (I used a fresh install
> of macports, followed by a selfupdate, about 1-1/2 weeks ago)? Or,
> are we expected to use XEmacs packages tools to upgrade specific
> packages (and if so, has anyone successfully been able to do that)?
> Or should I clobber the macports python-modes directory and create
> a new one that holds the files provided in the sourceforge download?
>
> Very confused. Advice appreciated.

I don't use xemacs but emacs-devel +carbon.  I have an ~/elisp
directory that contains elisp resources for emacs that I manage
myself (e.g. python-mode.el) and my ~/.emacs starts with

	(add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp")

( (add-to-list x y)  is like (cons x y) but returns y if x is in y )

It's simple and it works for me.

HTH

--
Arnaud