Issues with squid startup

James Risner risner at stdio.com
Thu Nov 23 21:51:36 PST 2006

I am a new convert from Windows to MacOS X.

I have installed squid using Darwinports and installed the plist file:
/opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.Squid/org.macports.Squid.plist

But it doesn't start the server properly:

unix% ps ugxaww | grep -i squid
root        35   0.0 -0.0    27832    328  ??  Ss   Wed07AM   0:00.01 /opt/local/bin/daemondo --label=Squid --start-cmd /opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.Squid/Squid.wrapper start ; --stop-cmd /opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.Squid/Squid.wrapper stop ; --restart-cmd /opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.Squid/Squid.wrapper restart ; --pid=none

No squid process ever starts.  I can (and do) start it by hand with "sudo /opt/local/sbin/squid"
because I need a local cache.  But I haven't been able to find anything on this list or in google
about how to fix it not starting from launchd.  Does anyone have any hints for me?

I am sorry if this is a repeat question, I tried to search for the answer.

Risner