Spamassassin setup?

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Nov 27 19:11:56 PST 2006

On Nov 27, 2006, at 7:50 PM, Russell Gold wrote:
> Can somebody point me to setup instructions for spamassassin with
> Postfix when both are loaded by MacPorts? I have found a wide range
> of instructions, but most assume Debian or MacOSX server and they
> disagree wildly. I have spamassassin "installed" but not,
> apparently, hooked into Postfix.

It depends a lot on how much traffic your box gets and what kind of
setup you want.

If you already want/need procmail (ie, you've set mailbox_commaind
to /usr/bin/procmail in postfix's main.cf), you can just add
something like this to your /etc/procmailrc:

DROPPRIVS=yes
:0fw: spamassassin.lock
* < 256000
| /opt/local/bin/spamassassin

You can make things a little more efficient by using spamc/spamd, or
by setting up a postfix content filter (or a sendmail-compatible
milter) to avoid the overhead of fork()/exec()ing procmail and perl
for every incoming mail.

See http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/IntegratedInMta

--
Daniel J. Luke